Perfectionism can be defined as the tendency to set high, unrelenting standards of and for ourselves, in all areas of our lives. It’s the constant pursuit of ‘perfect’ – a subjective concept and so an unattainable, never-ending pursuit – often leaving us feeling frustrated, anxious, exhausted, burnt out, and with a sense of compromised self-worth.
So, in this episode, Emily (who refers to herself as a ‘recovering perfectionist’) speaks on how we can work to overcome perfectionism – or at least start to work with it to enjoy its gifts, and embrace ourselves as perfectly imperfect.
In This Episode:
- The origins of perfectionism from a psychological perspective
- Schemas and the ego, and how both ultimately work to protect us
- The ‘Unrelenting Standards’ schema (or life trap): its characteristics, origins, and how it so often plays out
- How perfectionism manifests in the physical body, and how it can impact our health behaviours
- The gifts and benefits of this schema
- Adaptive vs. maladaptive perfectionism, and adaptive vs. maladaptive coping strategies
- Emily’s thoughts on, and practical tools for, overcoming perfectionism and reaching a healthier level of balance
Plus, as always, we start the episode with a life update from the both of us – our wins, challenges and obsessions from the past couple of weeks.
Our Current Obsessions:
Em’s: Australian Bush Flowers ‘Woman Essence‘
Tarra’s: low-tox living
Work With Us:
Join the Witches Being Witches Coven:
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/wbwcommunity